This Special Pancit Palabok is one of the favorite noodle dishes of many Filipinos out there. Of course, there are other available noodle dishes similar to this one such as the Pancit Malabon and Spabok (uses spaghetti noodles. The only difference would be the noodles, some added ingredients, the preparation and some steps when cooking. I am definitely sure that you and your loved ones will enjoy this Pancit Palabok even more, whether you have a special occasion or just a simple gathering at home.
Here is the Procedure for the Special Pancit Palabok:
- 1 pack 500 grams bihon or rice noodles
- ¼ medium sized shrimps (peeled and set aside the heads for the stock)
- 1 whole garlic (peeled and minced)
- ¼ pork belly (boiled and cut into small cubes)
- ½ cup of chicharon (crushed)
- 3 eggs (boiled and sliced for toppings)
- 3 tablespoon of achuete
- 2 large onion (peeled and chopped finely)
- 2 tablespoons of fish sauce
- 1 ½ liter of water
- 1 large pouch of Mama Sita’s Palabok Mix (dissolved in 3 cups of water or stocks)
- 3 tablespoon of spring onion (chopped finely)
- 2 tablespoons of sugar (optional)
- cooking oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
In a large casserole, put at least 1 liter of water, cover it and then bring to boil. Next step is to put the bihon (rice noodles) and cook with the right tenderness like cooking the pasta.
When tender, remover the water and drain the noodles using a strainer, then set aside in a serving pan or bilao (circular basket).
In a medium-sized pre-heated saucepan, put the right amount of cooking oil and then sauté garlic and onion until golden brown.
Next is to add the pork, shrimp, about 2 cups of water, dissolved Mama Sita’s Palabok Mix, fish sauce and sugar (optional), let simmer for about 3-5 minutes.
While waiting to simmer, squeeze the shrimp heads in a 1 cup of water and then add the water in the boiling sauce. Mix gently; add the right amount of salt and pepper to complete the taste.
Pour the cooked sauce on top of the noodles in the bilao and spread it evenly. Next is to spread the sliced eggs on top, the chicharon and spring onion. This Special Pancit Palabok is best serve with Puto and iced cold beverage to enjoy!
Image credit: walkandeat.blogspot.com