Chicken Binakol or Binakol na Manok (Chicken soup dish) is one of the most popular and favorite dishes in the Visayan region, particularly in the province of Iloilo. What makes this recipe more flavorful is that it contains coconut juice and coconut meat. Of course, it is very important to use the native or free range chicken to make the soup delicious and with great aroma. Some choose to cook this dish using a bamboo, while others prepare it through natural cooking method. Regardless of the cooking method, the result is definitely satisfying!
Here is the procedure for Chicken Binakol or Binakol na Manok
- 1 kilo native chicken (cut into medium pieces)
- 2 cups rice wash
- 2 cups of coconut meat (young and tender)
- 3 cups of coconut pure juice
- 2 cups of chicken broth
- 1 cup of chili leaves
- 3 pieces of green papayas (peeled and sliced for the dish)
- 1 thumb-sized ginger (peeled and sliced thinly)
- 1 medium white onion (chopped finely)
- 5 stalks of lemon grass (pounded and tied properly)
- 6 cloves of garlic (peeled and chopped finely)
- 4 tablespoon natural cooking oil
- 3 tablespoon fish sauce (Patis)
- Salt to taste
In a large sauce pan, preheat the stove and sauté the garlic, ginger, onion and lemon grass for about 2-3 minutes. Afterwards, put the chicken, sauté and let simmer for 5 minutes before adding the fish sauce.
Next is to include the coconut meat, coconut juice and let boil for about 20-30 minutes until the chicken becomes tender. Add the papaya and water if necessary then let simmer for another 5-7 minutes or when the papaya becomes tender.
Then add the chicken broth and salt to taste before adding the chili leaves. Let simmer in a low fire for at least 2-3 minutes before turning off the heat. Transfer the dish in a serving dish and enjoy eating with the whole family!
Image credit: The Peach Kitchen